We had a little incident last week that really opened my eyes...my little guy is growing up and becoming mobile, sticking EVERYTHING in his mouth.
I left Tripp on the floor to go tend to Lexie making a mess. About a minute into helping her clean up I hear Tripp start coughing a lot. He stopped for a bit but then started again, this time gagging over and over. I knew he had swallowed something. My body immediately went into panic mode and I began feeling around in his mouth for any other objects. I had taken a CPR class just before he was born so I knew not to reach into his throat because that could push it further down. I let him try to cough/gag it up a few times before I realized it wasn't coming up. I was shaking so bad all the while Lexie is misbehaving terribly so my stress level was super high. I am ashamed, but I screamed so loud at her that it scared her and she actually stopped what she was doing. It made her stay in one place so I could focus on Tripp and not worry about her doing something dangerous like climbing the bar stools.
I couldn't remember if I was supposed to do the back thrusts where you hold them over your forearm, head facing the ground or the Heimlich. Afterwards I remembered it was supposed to just be the back thrusts until around 1 year old. Anyways...I was just waiting for him not to be able to breathe anymore, but thankfully it never blocked his airway. I did a few thrusts on his back as well as pushed on his stomach slightly and that along with a gag helped it to come up and I was able to swoop it out. It was a piece of clear tape. It was definitely scary and reminded me that I need to review my CPR rules as well as pick up/vacuum more often. Poor baby...
7 comments:
How scary! Good job, though! I took a CPR class, too, and I worry too if I'll remember what I ought to! You did great. :)
oh my gosh, Lizzie, I am sooo sorry you had to go through that! I am so proud of you for thinking so logically through the whole traumatic event!
Scary!! I hope that if something every happens to Gisele that I'll remember everything we learned in the CPR class. I feel like I need to take it again for a refresher!
Good thing you knew what to do!! Glad everything came out ok (no pun intended)...
I had so much fun babysitting them! They're the best!
I had the EXACT same thing happen with Annie . . . she had gotten ahold of a piece of plastic that covers the straws from juice boxes. Needless to say, drink boxes have been ix-nayed from our house! (BTW, this is Patrick's sister!)
So scary! I laughed at the Lexie climbing on the bar stools part - that is Samantha's current favorite thing to do and it drives me crazy. I have had to belt out a warning as well so I knew exactly what you were talking about!
Post a Comment