I have been going to the Houston rodeo for years and I am sad to say I never paid any attention to the livestock show part. It was always all about the concert I got to attend! :( Well, not this year. I didn't get to see anyone in concert this year, but today we headed to see all the animals they had.
All I can say is, Oh my Gosh! I was so impressed and I actually wanted to stay longer. There were many things that we couldn't do because of our kids' age or because of lines like the mechanical bull, milking a cow, and pony rides which all sound like fun! We got to see many cows, rabbits (which we got to pet), honeybees, chicks, play in the petting zoo, and sit on a big tractor. Lexie loved all of it, and she wanted to see the pigs the most and seemed to really be interested in the eggs the hens had laid. She actually wanted to stay in the petting zoo too. She loved watching the goats eat hay.
sitting on a real tractor
My favorite part was the maternity ward (ha!) It was incredible.
There were several sets of piglets nursing from their mommies. One set was just born yesterday so they still had their umbilical cords on. Aww. They were precious.
There were lambs and calves as well that were only days old.
Then they had a sheep and 2 cows that were actually in labor!!! I wanted to stay there and watch so bad, but they said it could still be several hours before the calf was born. Perhaps delivering babies is so fresh in my mind. I felt so bad staring at the cow and I could feel her pain. I thought about what a wimp I must be because they don't even get the option of an epidural. I asked the caretaker if they make noises during this process. She said they might moan or grunt but not too loudly and not very often. She seemed to be so calm. She was breathing a little heavy and was mostly laying down. The 2nd time I came around to see her she was standing up. Man, how I wanted to see her give birth! It was so cool! I am weird I know...but I wonder what animals are thinking all the time. Do they get excited about the births of their babies or is this just a process of life for them? Do they even have feelings of excitement? I know I am strange. I analyze everything.
We had a great day with our friends and I think next year will be even better.
I dressed Lexie up in western gear the best I could. She was so darn cute...
3 comments:
What a cute little cowgirl!!! Sorry we missed it.
Oh, she looks adorable! That looks like so much fun - I've never been to the livestock show either. I want to pet the bunnies!!!
aw! I just love her- look at that smile in the last one :)
Post a Comment