You thought I forgot to blog about my parents, huh?
My parents have always been the people I look up to the most. They were always very perfect in my eyes and I strive every day to please them. I found when I got older that my parents aren't perfect which was a wake up call to me. I have learned some great lessons from my parents since being married. Although it's a little sad to think that they aren't always perfect, it is reality. God never intended for us to be perfect or for things to be easy all the time. It has helped me realize that I don't have to be a perfect parent or a perfect wife. There is a great thing called forgiveness that God grants to all of us who ask to be forgiven! Whew!
As a child I always remember my dad being very silly. He always said things like "I am going to go shake a tower" instead of take a shower. Some of my fondest memories were of him rubbing his fingers through my hair at night and of him playing "mean horse" with us. He always took us to Circle K to get slushies which was such a treat! I always loved going to work with him on Saturday mornings. It was time with just my dad by myself! I used to love going out to the country with him. We would play around all day long out there, riding the 3 wheeler, making fires, shooting BB guns, fishing, popping fireworks, and just hiking around. It was some great family times. As I got older and involved in sports in High School we really bonded during my playing softball. He really enjoyed ( I think) watching me play. He always would try to encourage me and give me advice. With 5 kids I was grateful to get some attention on just me! We had some great times! At the end of my junior year in High School my parents hinted that my dad may be taking a new job in Plano and we would be uprooted. I was a fairly good child, typical middle child personality, and I always went with the flow. However, this did not go over well with me, and I let my parents know that I didn't want to go during my senior year as I was very involved in school and was looking forward to it. So now looking back I see the sacrifice. He turned down the job. I don't know that it was all for me, but I like to think I had a big part of it. I think my dad has sacrificed a lot for us kids. You see...he is a very intelligent man, very well read, hard worker, ambitious, loves to travel. I am sure he had to put many things to the side for his family.
My dad is a very deep thinker and we don't do it often enough, but I enjoy his conversations. He usually causes me to think for days after our conversation. I feel my dad is very nonjudgmental and has been happy for us in our decision to try other churches. There are probably so many more things about him that I haven't even realized yet. You know...you start to appreciate your parents more as you get older. Above all, he is my dad and I love him. I need him in my life and I am so grateful for him. I have so many fond memories of him as a child. I hope to create many more happy ones in the future! Love you dad! 
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That last picture of them is so cute. I have some great memories of your dad too, and I can tell you he ALWAYS made me laugh!
wow! You said it..well written :) I love Dad
Post a Comment